Achieving environmental excellence by continually improving our performance as environmental science and practice evolves
In 2012, NZP’s Environmental Management System (EMS) was audited against the ISO14001 Standard for the first time, and was successful in attaining certification.
As well as adhering to Legal Requirements, NZP have signed a Memorandum of Partnership with the local Iwi, working together to ensure environmental considerations and concerns relating to regional Maori become part of our decision making process.
In August 2010, NZP was one of the members of the Manawatū River Leaders' Forum who signed an Accord to take action to improve the state of the Manawatū River. The Accord set out a focus, vision, and goals for the River.
Specific goals set out in the Accord are:
1. The Manawatū River becomes a source of regional pride and mana.
2. Waterways in the Manawatū Catchment are safe, accessible, swimmable, and provide good recreation and food resources.
3.The Manawatū Catchment and waterways are returned to a healthy condition.
4. Sustainable use of the land and water resources of the Manawatū Catchment continues to underpin the economic prosperity of the Region.
NZP has been focused on the following environmental initiatives in recent times:
• Enhanced control and monitoring of main emission stacks.
• Significant reduction in nitrogen and phosphorus levels in process waste directed to local Waste Water Treatment Plant.
• Reduced energy consumption through implementation of energy efficient technologies.
• Reduced water consumption through implementation of alternate process cooling methods.